Name Changes



8AM to 4PM
Closed on State Holidays

County Courthouse

350 E Delaware Ave. #6
Republic, WA  99166
Phone (509) 775-5225
...ext. 2504
Fax (509) 775-5221


Name changes

How do I petition to change my name?
You may petition the District Court to change your name for any reason except for the purpose of defrauding or misleading another person.
How do I petition to change my child's name?
You may petition the District Court to change the name of your minor child. The Court may grant the petition if the name change promotes the minor's best interest, and if both parents consent to the name change. If one parent does not consent, you must have notice of the proposed name change served on that parent.

To change your name, or the name of your minor child, you must apply at the District Court in the County where you reside.

You must complete a Petition for Change of Name form which is available at Ferry County District Court, 350 East Delaware #6, Republic, Washington 99166-9747. A nonrefundable filing fee of $73.00 is required. The Court will accept cash, money order or personal check for the filing fee. The filing fee to record the name change order with the Ferry County Auditor is $103.50.

If you are requesting that a name be changed for a minor child, the absent parent must sign an affidavit stating that she/he agrees and consents to the name change. Minors of age 10 and older must be present at the hearing before the judicial officer. If you have further questions you may call (509) 775-5225, ext 2504.
I am the victim of domestic violence and don't want my abuser to know my new name. What do I do?
If you, your child, or your ward is the victim of domestic violence, and you wish to have your name change file sealed because of a reasonable fear for your safety, you may file your petition for name change with the Ferry County Superior Court by going to the office of the Ferry County Clerk on the third floor of the courthouse (350 East Delaware, Republic, Washington 99166).