Prospective jurors must immediately complete and return the juror questionnaire. All information received will be treated confidentially. It is important to provide complete information so that the court can either qualify you to serve or excuse you from service. If a prospective juror encounters circumstances, such as personal emergencies, reasonable accommodations will be made to postpone service to a later date. Every special circumstance will be addressed on an individual basis and should be referred to the District Court Office.
How Service Works
Juror names are chosen at random from voter registrations, drivers license and Washington State identification cards for residents of Ferry County. The lists are combined and duplicate names are eliminated. However, different spellings or name variations may result in duplication. Then, the answers to the juror questionnaires are evaluated to make sure each juror is eligible for juror service.
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Reside in Ferry County
- Be able to communicate in the English language (RCW 2.36.070)
- Not be a convicted felon or if convicted, must have had his or her rights restored.
Most jury trials last 1 to 2 days, however, jury service is for one week. Jurors are free to return home in the evenings. Jurors are usually required to serve on one trial.
If there is a medical reason why a person cannot serve, a physician's written verification which details why the juror cannot serve and whether medical excuse is permanent or temporary, must be provided. The juror will be notified of the acceptance or denial of the request.
Request for Postponements
If a juror has vacation plans or special appointments and/or events during the term that he or she is scheduled for jury duty, he or she may request to have their jury duty postponed to a different term. Notice will be mailed of the postponement and the juror will be resummonsed at a later date. Please do not call the District Court Office asking to be excused over the phone as phone requests cannot be considered. All requests to be rescheduled must be in writing.
Jurors are paid $20 per day and 0.575 cents a mile. Checks are usually mailed four to six weeks after the jury term ends. Call the District Court Office at 509-775-5225 ext 2504 with any questions.
- Dress appropriately. Dress slacks, shirt, skirt, or blouse show respect for the court. Clean jeans and dress shirt would also be acceptable. Hats are not allowed.
- Food or drinks are not allowed in the courtroom. Water only.
- Weapons of any kind are not allowed in the courthouse.
- The courtroom is not an appropriate place for children. Please arrange for someone to watch them while you are in court.
A person summoned for jury service who intentionally fails to appear as directed shall be guilty of a misdemeanor according to RCW 2.36.17
8AM TO 4PM
PUBLIC OFFICE HOURS:
8AM to 4PM
Closed on State Holidays
350 E Delaware Ave. #6
Republic, WA 99166
Phone (509) 775-5225
Fax (509) 775-5221