All Boat Tabs are due June 30.
The Auditor is also an agent for the Department of Revenue and collects sales taxes on transfers of such vehicles made between individuals.
Licensing & Registering a Vehicle/Vessel in Washington State
- First Time Titling and Registering in Washington State?
- Titling & Registering of Vehicles
- Titling & Registration of Vessels
- Specialized Plates and Emblems
- What to Know When Buying a Used Vehicle
|Department of Revenue
When a value is not available in the Automated Valuing System or I disagree with the value provided
You can provide one of the following:
- An itemized repair estimateor receipts from a retail repair facility
- A retail appraisal. This often incurs a fee but is an option.
- A Declaration of Buyer and Seller. This form must be completed in its entirety and is subject to audit verification by the Department of Revenue.
WAC 458-20-178 provides general consumer use tax information and defines "fair market value". Use Tax is imposed under authority of RCW 82.12.020 by the Department of Revenue(DOR). DOR has authorized County Auditors and the Department of Licensing to collect use tax per WAC 458-20-17802.
For additional information, go to the Washington State Department of Licensing website.
When to renew
All boat registrations expire on June 30th. You can renew your boat registration up to 6 months before June 30th.
You won't get a renewal notice in the mail. However, you may sign up to get renewal reminders if you would like to get an email reminding you when your decals are due.
How to renew
- Renew online.
- Renew in person at your local vehicle/boat licensing office. An additional service fee may apply.
- Renew by mail. If you are signed up to get renewal reminders, you may renew by printing the email reminder and mailing it to any vehicle/boat licensing office with a check or money order for the fees.
When you renew, you will be required to:
- Pay all fees related to the renewal of your boat decals and registration. To see how much your decals will cost when you renew, see Calculate your boat registration fees. If renewing in person, provide the boat registration or registration number (WN#).
- If renewing in person, present identification to show you are the registered owner of the boat. For a list of exceptions, contact your local vehicle/boat licensing office.
- Meet any other requirements that apply.
Change of address
It is important to keep your address updated. If you need to change the address on record for your boat, you must visit a vehicle/boat licensing office in person. You cannot change the address for your boat record online or by mail.